Homemade Cerelac/ health mix powder for Babies:Homemade cerelac is also popularly called as Sathu maavu, it is a very healthy food and can be prepared instantly too. It is one of the best substitutes of the meal and is considered as weight gaining food too.
There are many companies which prepare sathu maavu but it is a very easy recipe which can be prepared at home. The best part about this recipe is, you can always customize it as per your baby's need.
The entire preparation process will take 1.5 hour, you can either grind the powder in mixer grinder jar or can give it to the local grinding mill if the quantity is more.
1. 1.5 cups White Rice
2. 1 cup Black Urad Dal
3. 1 cup Green Moong Gram
4. 1 cup Ragi
5. 1 cup Whole Moong Dal
6. 1 cup Whole Masoor Dal
7. 1/2 cup Wheat Dalia
8. 1/2 cup Bajra
9. 1/2 cup Horse gram
10.1/2 cup Corn
11.1/2 cup Almonds
12.1/2 cup Cashew
13.10 pods cardamom
14. 1-inch dry ginger
15. ½ cup barley
1.Measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Wash each ingredient separately in tap water, drain out the excess water and soak all the ingredients in filter water for 15 minutes.
3. After 15 minutes air dry all the ingredients separately.
4. Take a wok and dry roast the rice until it looks similar to puffed rice.
5. Roast all the dals (black urad dal, green moong dal, yellow moong dal, masoor dal) together until it becomes light golden brown in color. You will get the fragrance of roasted dal. Turn off the flame.
6.Dry roast wheat dalia, bajra, horse gram, ragi, corn, barley for 5-7 minutes in low flame or until golden brown.
7. Roast the nuts like cashews, almonds for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
8. Finally roast cardamom and dry ginger for 2 minutes in low flame.
Once all the ingredients are well roasted allow it to cool at room temperature. It will take about 2-5 hours. Then grind all the ingredients together in a mixer grinder jar. Sift the flour twice, grind the remaining chunks to finer powder.
You can also give it to the nearby grinding mill. You can give 2 kilograms of ragi or wheat to grind before giving the sathu maavu. This will rule out the chances of contamination of masala, chilies into the sathu maavu.
Method to prepare sathu maavu porridge for babies and toddlers
Take 3 tablespoons of sathu maavu power and mix well in filtered water, makes sure there is no lump in it. Take a pan and cook the paste for 10-12 minutes in low flame. You can also include banana or fruit purees into it to make it sweet.
Method to include sathu maavu in a different form
1. While knitting the roti dough you can mix a cup of sathu maavu to make it more nutritious.
2. Add 1 cup of sathu maavu flour into 2 cups of dosa batter to make healthy sathu maavu dosa.